Sunday, September 18, 2005

5 Precepts & 5 Ennoblers

The 5 Precepts & 5 Ennoblers


As Buddhists, we need to establish our practice on moral principles so that we feel a sense of self-respect and stability. The Five Precepts provide the foundation for moral behaviour and for lay practice of the Dharma.

To refrain from killing.
To refrain from stealing.
To refrain from adulterous or promiscuous sexual activities.
To refrain from false speech.
To refrain from drugs and alcohol.

Besides observing the Five precepts daily, Buddhists also practice the positive aspects of the precepts or the Five Ennoblers which are Loving-kindness, Generosity, Contentment, Truthful Speech and Mindfulness. The positive precepts helps to purify our body, speech and mind.

With deeds of Loving-kindness, I purify my body.
With open-handed Generosity, I purify my body.
With Stillness, Simplicity and Contenment, I purify my body.
With Truthful Communication, I purify my speech.
With Mindfulness clear and radiant, I purify my mind.


- Buddha Puja - A Book of Devotions

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good job...keep up the good work...
sadhu sadhu sadhu